Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yet Another Taste of Home

My sister came by to visit recently and she brought me a huge bag of candy we used to get for Halloween decades ago. Wax lips, wax bottles, candy buttons, and lots of other goodies were there. She even found some candy smokes (they are called “candy sticks” now, in case you didn't know, but they look and taste exactly the same). It was all awesome.

Except for one thing...

Before I start describing this treat from long, long ago I want to make sure you know this is just one person's opinion. I am writing this after a two-week break, so it is possible many people have just drifted away. That's cool.

But those of you who are still around may have read my review of Chocovine – the only drink I know of that tastes precisely how it looks. This review is gonna go pretty much like that.

My sister made me close my eyes and put the candy under my nose to try and get me to identify it by scent alone. That was completely unnecessary, it turns out, as every single other piece of candy, the bag the candy came in, and the table the bag was placed on, smelled just like what she was trying to get me to identify - Choward's Violet Mints.

Although the package clearly says “15 Mints”, these are not mints by any reasonable definition of the word. Go ahead and look it up. I'll wait. See? They are technically “mints” in the same way as a shotglass filled with English Leather is technically an “alcoholic beverage”.

What do they taste like? Well, the Wikipedia entry reminded me that we used to call this treat “soap candy” because we used to say it tastes like soap when we were little. Pfft, you wish, Younger Us. The only reason we used to think it tasted like soap was we were too young to come up with “Oh, God, it tastes I just took a big ol' lick of every single neck wattle in a bingo parlor”.

Weeks have gone by since my last exposure and I have been eating pepperocini after pepperocini non-stop trying to get the taste out of my mouth with no luck.

You know, maybe I need a glass of that Chocovine after all.

2 comments:

Natty said...

Good Times,Brother..Good Times!~soap mints..mmmm

Jim said...

I have never heard of those things... must be a North-Lockport thing.