Wednesday, January 14, 2015

New Signature Items

I am sitting down to write this a little late so this will be short, sweet, and full of pics.

The pic to the left is the Geojunk Clock I made - and have been making - for my son’s room.  After I cleaned out my backpack this weekend I found there is pretty much no more space in which to cram Geocache treasures we find, so I will need to come up with another way to use the items.  Not sure how yet.

Not all the items you see are McDonald's toys and Dollar Store trinkets.  A few of them are signature items that people actually sit down and craft like those you see below:

The first one (the blue beaded bauble) was made by KBear757, and other was made by Wife2Aviator. (There are others in the clock, too, like custom bottle cap art pieces that are unsigned).



Speaking of which, I noticed I was down to 3 cipher discs and 1 fish plaque (see sidebar on non-mobile devices).  I knew I would run out soon so I made these guys… Not sure what to call them.  Scrolls of Pretention +1, maybe?





The sixteen scrolls are all the same and they should fit into smaller caches than either the cipher discs or the fish do.  The poem is one I wrote and posted many years ago.  I originally wanted to do something with Wordles but the print was too small to tell what was going on so in the end I just aged the paper with wood stain and went this route.

But not all is sunshine and unicorns in Geocache-land.  Check this out:



I have seen a lot of careless (or planned, I guess...) damage to plant life (ruined topiaries, snapped branches, etc.), and I have seen one instance of a clue on a multi-cache being destroyed - clearly ripped to pieces and chucked into the woods - but I have never seen an overt threat like this before.  I wrote an email tonight to the owners of the cache asking what the story was.  If they respond, I will post what they say... if they are ok with me doing so, that is.  [Pre-Publish Edit:  Just got word from the CO that they have never seen that behavior before.  Usually, caches just go missing, SNAP!!! said. ]

One last thing: the little rook Travel Bug (sidebar) is still on the move but seems to have slowed down quite a bit on its trip to the castles of Scotland.  Still, it's pretty cool to see it "out there, somewhere".

[Another Pre-Publish Edit: Just got another email - this one from SEBWheeler saying that they found one of the Cipher Disks I placed in a cache a while back.  Good luck, guys!]

No comments: