Monday, June 7, 2010

Garden Project (Part V)

Evergreen border hedges were added last week.  I needed a lot of additional topsoil to make up for the 18 inch drop in the garden from the right side to the left so the 12 hedges were at the same height relative to the walls.

Unfortunately, I had to use bagged topsoil which was I little more than I wanted to pay ($1.20 a bag) but it was convenient to unload and higher quality than what I usually get bulk from the local garden center. It was convenient to load, too, since I just bought a pallet of it and had the Lowe's guys forklift it into the back of the truck. No fuss, no muss, but a little disconcerting to see the vehicle riding so low in the back...

This past weekend, I took advantage of the "nice" weather to add mulch, plant the final large hedge in the center of the back semicircular area, and install the solar lamps (8 of them - one for each "corner").

There are a few more things to do directly related to this project.

1) Make or install stepping stones to go from the deck to the garden.  I am not sure if I am going to pour concrete for this or just buy some natural or pre-fab units.  I would like to go with concrete so me, my wife, and my son can put our handprints or footprints in it.
2) Install something in the remaining semicircular area.  The initial idea was to put a small circular paver patio there, but the shape and size of the area seems to suggest a water feature instead. Obviously I will need a pump, but I don't have a super-easy way to power it that is seperate from the low voltage lights on the deck.  We will see what happens, there.  I have been toying with the idea of mounting solar panels on the shed or the playhouse, but this is probably not the way to go.
3) Install permanent watering solution.  I can't run a water line from the outlet to the garden because, literally, it would cross every single utility on the property. It will have to be a quick-connect hose adapter mounted in the wall near the upper right corner, I guess.  I would like to have a copper garden art sprinkler in the center... whether I buy one or make one myself is TBD.

More "soon".

2 comments:

Jim said...

Who are you ? Martha Stewart? Why don't you rebuild a '78 Cuda instead of all of this sissy landscaping? (Jim shakes his head in disgust and sadness)

SnowUrchin said...

Excellent advice, but I don't think I have nearly enough leftover stone for something like that...