Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ahh! They're All Just Pins!



Originally, I planned on writing an in-depth article of the construction of a new play table for our son’s room.  As I was sorting out the paragraph layout in my head, though, it occurred to me that fifteen hundred words on how to slap together nine pieces of lumber is probably not the best use of anyone’s time. 

The next time I am commissioned to build a table, I will take step-by step pics and throw them on Snapguide or similar.  BTW, if you have never checked out Snapguide, do check it out.  They have some pretty cool stuff there.  I especially like the "how-to" on making a silver ring out of a quarter...

Anyway, instead of a wall of text, here are the bullets followed by some pics.  Ahh!  It’s just a table!  

  • The wood is aspen.  It is light, soft, and tough to uniformly stain.  I will use a gel stain or simply it paint next time.
  • I won’t use varnish anymore. It dries quickly but takes about a million years to outgas completely.
  • The cost of the wood was $40 and the table took a little less than two person-hours to create.  It would have been closer to one hour but I had to double-up the thickness of the legs to ensure they would be strong enough for the task.




That’s about it.  The final product is square and sturdy and currently holds a Lego Death Star and a jigsaw puzzle in the boy’s room.

No comments: