Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pallet End Table (Part I)

Those of you who know me know that I like to work with reclaimed wood. I find it very satisfying to save a discarded table or bookcase or what have you and make something usable out of it. Not only are the woodcraft projects much cheaper than if I went to Lowe's for the raw materials, the end products have a lot of character that would be difficult to achieve using store-bought lumber. Also, I like the challenge of working with the defects in the recovered wood. It forces me to be creative when I am working with it instead of just following a plan out of a book.

Sometimes the projects are quick and easy - some sanding, some wood glue, some stain, some sealant, and some paint turned a lopsided and water-stained coffee table into an awesome stand for my printer and scanner.

Sometimes the projects take a lot of time and effort, like with a dining room table I built. It weighed about 300 pounds and the recovered top (a former floor of a welding shop) had circular inlays made of 75-year-old barnwood. I sold that one on craigslist.

Most of the stuff I do falls in the middle like the palette wood endtable I am making now.

Now would be a good time for me to take a small break from the near self-congratulatory tone of this post and inject some honesty in reporting.

I am a self-taught hobbyist, nothing more. While I have a large quantity of tools I do not have a lot of high quality tools nor do I have the ability to use them to their fullest extent (or even use them properly in some cases).

I guess the most positive honest thing I could say if I were forced to list "carpenter" on a resume is that I have not yet been seriously injured while woodworking. I nearly died hiking a few years back and once embedded a rusty nail deep into my ankle while mowing the lawn, but so far my workshop shenanigans have gone largely unpunished. Perhaps the smell of sawdust generated when a board is cut a just a little too long, carefully measured, and then cut way too short is pleasing to the hobby gods.

Maybe they are busy watching me on a celestial (and possibly terminal) version of "America's Funniest Home Videos" and they are waiting for me to "get to the good part" where I "lose all the fingers on my left hand". Who knows?

You have been warned. This is not an advice column. It sure as hell is not a safety manual.

Ok. Back to the project description.

A while ago I saw two weather-beaten pallets sitting in the trash of a local business. They were very old and have clearly been used a lot. They had hundreds of rusty and bent nails securing their cracked and faded slats together.

In other words: Score (Editor's Note: I originally had the word 'Jackpot' here, but I will not use that word nor eat anything from Pizza Hut while those idiotic Jim Brewer commercials are still playing). I could definitely build something out of these or, at least, clutter up the garage trying.

(To be continued... updated pics will be posted in the sidebar as the project progresses.)

No comments: