Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pallet End Table (Part III)


(Continued from Part II)

"Hey, weren't there two pallets at the beginning of this story?" you might be asking yourself in a bored and impatient voice.
.
"Yes," I say, stunned that you are still paying attention. There are two of them, but the boards on the pallet I dismantled turned out to be at least one-quarter inch thicker than the untouched one. It is not feasible to use the slats from both of them for a single tabletop, so the project turns from a coffee table into an end table. That's cool. Maybe I'll use the other one for picture frames or something. Besides, I'm ready to move on to the next step.

The next step is to cut the boards to size. I have posted before about my 10" Craftsman table saw being the perfect combination of "indispensable" and "terrifyingly shoddily made" and that makes using it a chore to undertaken with an attitude of resigned acceptance. The "prostate exam" of woodworking tools, if you will.

I set up the sawblade to the correct height, placed the wood on the table and flipped the switch. Click. Nothing. Click click click. Still nothing. I then unplugged the saw and backed off because in my head I very clearly heard Yosemite Sam yelling at Bugs Bunny "No, ya dagburn idgit, like this!" as he demonstrates the correct way to get the rigged piano to explode.

I like having all my fingers. They each have their own little jobs: one for hitchin', one for pickin', one for flippin', one for gettin' hitched, and one for losin' if you dare to betray the Yakuza.

I don't know why the saw isn't working but I do know the outlet is live and the tool circuit breaker has not tripped. I'll figure it out, but for now I'll just take a little break since troubleshooting the thing will require me to dismantle some of it and I just don't feel like it right now. Hey, maybe the motor's burnt out and I can finally take the Amazing Lawsuit Machine to the dump.
.
Maybe I'll do that anyway if I can convince Mrs. Snowurchin to free up some funding... But for now the project is on hold.
.

No comments: