Monday, August 16, 2010

Site Update, New Puzzle Hint

Sorry no posts recently. My excuses:

My wife bought me a Kindle DX recently and I have been putting it through its paces. It does exactly what I want (act like a book, and don't be a computer) 100% perfectly. My Pros: Holds 3,500 books, reads PDFs, I don't need to provide near-constant life support to it as I would have to do with a computer (updates, drivers, patches, virus definitions, etc.). My Cons: interface is as clunky as a late 1990's smartphone, can't sort by price on the Amazon Kindle site via the Kindle (Most pre-1923 books are free, see, so it would be nice to see the free ones like you can on the regular Amazon site.)

Related to this, since I have the Army Cryptography Manual PDF on the e-reader and it got me thining on this bent again, is the Khan's Cons puzzle on puzzlemonster.com. I have allowed myself to get wrapped around the axle once more with this thing. Yes, I am stuck... still. Apparently, I don't know the meaning of the word “quit”. Unfortunately I am extremely well-acquainted with the phrase “virtually pointless obsession”. If I could just nail down one single letter with 100% confidence... Sigh. I hereby passive-aggressively present the next hint to the Puzzle for Charity:

Hint #3 (Posted 2130 081610): The first letter is “W”.

Speaking of “virtually pointless obsessions”, I started a new woodworking project! I am building a chessboard out of scrap wood in the garage. The light squares will be maple (the last bits from a table rescued from the side of the road) and the dark squares and trim will be cedar (left over from the Windsor II Playhouse project.

But what about Captain Awesome?! Yep, more episodes are coming soon.

Stay tuned.

No comments: