Monday, November 9, 2009

Five Projects


When it rains, it pours.


This week I will be going from zero projects to possibly five projects once I get my replacement table saw on Wednesday. I sold my Lego Mindstorms Kit and a dysfunctional Roomba to help subsidize the cost, but more on that later. I will have descriptions for all current projects in the sidebar of this blog and update their status as appropriate. For now here is a brief overview of them all:

1) Pallet Wood End Table – this project has been on hold since my Craftsman table saw died. I am looking forward to picking this project up again this week.

2) Desk Refinishing Project – jimmydunes (a reader and friend) has donated a large wooden desk to this site. He bought it at a used - and now closed - furniture shop in Lockport NY many years ago. He believes it originally came from a local school. There are no markings or metal plaques to identify it any more than that.

It is moderately dinged up but basically it is a nice heavy solid piece in need of some TLC. Personally, I like the way it looks now but I think it will bring in more money for the Puzzle for Charity if I sand and re-finish it.

Technically this project does not need a table saw, but I need to find a work area for it in the garage, and where it goes depends on where the saw ends up.

3) Antiqued End Table – adding a couple of coats of paint to an old oak end table gets it out of my way and into a guest bedroom or onto craigslist. I feel bad painting it (versus sanding and staining it) but it has a lot of curved surfaces which I do not want to deal with and it has been sitting in my garage generating negative value (collecting dust, cluttering up the joint, etc.) for over a year.

4) Siding Repair – repairing water (and maybe insect) damage to a small portion of my garage will require the table saw to ensure nice straight cuts are made to the replacement siding pieces. Parts, stain, and sealant get delivered Wednesday.

5) Play Table – We are in desperate need of more storage for my son’s toys and it would be great if he had a nice, safe play area to use them in (instead of the nightly ritual of turning the living room into an ankle twisting, trip-hazard mine field). Both of these problems would be solved by removing the no-longer-used rocking chair from his room and replacing it with a 3-foot by 3-foot table with ample storage. Although the need is great, this project is in the “maybe” pile because of the nature of the toys that need to be stored. Again, more on this later.

I hope to really push forward on all of these things starting soon but first I need to clean the garage. I have let it go for a while and I am pretty ashamed of the state of it right now. Blame it on Saints Row 2.

Wish me luck.

No comments: