Thursday, April 5, 2012

For External Use Only

In response to a thinly veiled threat of greivous bodily harm I bought some Girl Scout cookies from a friend a little while ago.  Actually, I didn’t mind much.  Paying twenty bucks for, like, twelve or so cookies seems totally reasonable and completely fair (smile and nod).  The Samoas (the chocolate coconut ones) are good, and the Thin Mints are ok, but I think they must have changed the recipe for the Tagalongs recently.  
Wikipedia describes these treats as “Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating” but I’m not so sure.  My guess is that they are actually filled with some sort of lightly peanut-scented whipped grease.  A detailed analysis of the “chocolate” shows the coating to be 1% cocoa, 34% brown acrylic paint, and 65% disappointment. The carton proudly advertises “100% Recycled Paperboard”, which is what I guess the “crispy vanilla cookie” part is made from.   
I know I used to love these things, and maybe this is just one dude’s opinion but consider this: You know that you have a pretty crummy cookie on your hands when your three-year-old excitedly grabs two, tastes the first one, looks at the second one suspiciously, strolls over to the trash, dumps them both, and walks off without so much as a word.
According to a recent article at The Huffington Post (shuddup shuddup, shuddup... I go there sometimes to balance out my Drudge...) Rare Wine Company's "Imperial-Old Reserve" Malmsey Maderia pairs well with these because “nothing goes better with sweet Maderias than chocolate and nuts”.   
Well said!  I will take a glass of that wine and a handful of the “nothing” you speak of - you can keep the cookies.

No comments: