Thursday, April 2, 2015

Dusty Keyboard? Write Something Geocache-y!

Finally!  A break!  Ok.  Things have calmed down a bit so it is time to catch up on some stuff.  Let’s talk about some work on the geocaching front.

The family and I have been grinding our way through the 100-cache SNAP!!!-Land series.   This series has you driving around Suffolk, VA in a winding-but-fairly-connected path, jumping out of the car every once in a while to find a container, sign the log, and move on to the next one.  As long as you planned your route  ahead of time and you have a driver, a fetcher, and a signer you could probably knock this out in a day.  

We have been taking chunks out of this series for a couple of hours for a few weekends now (weather permitting - it actually snowed a bit last Saturday).  We have done about 75% of them so far, skipping over active construction sites and dicey neighborhoods, since our fetcher is six and is usually unarmed.

But it's not all park and grab - there are some cool things to see along the way.  The pic in the upper left of this post is a fallen tree that someone painted to look like a dragon.  I think that is near number 38 in the series...

As I reported earlier, the d20-shaped geocache I made is now officially "out there". About a week after it was placed the weather got really crummy.  Rain, snow, thaw, freezing rain, snow, thaw, freeze... Mother Nature was really taking a bat to that thing and I was concerned that it was now just a pile of pieces in the woods.  It turned out I was worried about nothing.  It survived just fine.

I built another geocache container.  Here is the progress of the build.




It is 20" x 20" x 5”, weighs a ton, and cost about eight dollars to make.  The squares are from a pine board I found in the hall closet of my old house, the trim is from another piece of pine, the chess pieces are scrap furring strip, and the sides are spruce 2 x 4.   Move the queen and the Tupperware-container cache is revealed.  I picked out a pretty good place in a nearby forest and I hope to put it out there this weekend. 

Then again, the other one sat in my garage for, what, like, a year-and-a-half before I did anything with it…  Time will tell.

No comments: