Thursday, July 1, 2010

Guest Bedroom Project (Part II)

The printer/scanner stand was built and it and the new desk were stained. I had enough leftover material to make an additional little side table for my wife's office.  I used every single one of my 1 1/4" Kreg screws and every drop of wood glue I had.  Here are the pieces.

The dark stain was leftover from the Desk Restoration project - I have quite a collection of half-filled stain and paint cans in the garage so I really need to use this stuff up before it goes bad.  I used a gloss sealant for the same reason.  The little side table will remain unstained and unsealed.  The total time for this portion of the project was 4 hours and the total cost was $125.  If I had to buy the stain, brushes, desk slide hardware, and whatnot it would have cost significantly more.

The old desk was dismantled, cannibalized for parts, (such as drawer slides and hinges) and taken out to the dump.  It was very happy-making to chuck the pieces into the giant dumpster.

Sadly, a bookcase that Agmorion and I made about a million years ago also needs to go.  The shape and footprint is all wrong for the new room, you see.  Hopefully someone at the local thrift store can get some use out of it.  Although I like to put puzzles on stuff that I make before it goes out into the world, I won't be doing that with the bookcase.

What I did do, however, is create a Secret Puzzle for the new desk.  It is a 5" by 7" oak plyboard plaque that I screwed to the underside of the keyboard shelf.  Since the desk is not going out into the world for discovery, I present the puzzle below.  I will also post it in the Secret Puzzle Page (link in the sidebar on the right).  Good Luck!


I was going to include this next picture as part of a Playroom post but it fits just as well here. 



What you see here is a portion of a whole mess of books that needed to go away to make room for all the changes upstairs.  Hundreds of pounds of never-to-be-read reading material went to the thrift store since the books didn't meet my fuzzy definition of a) timelessness (reference books or classics) or b) irreplaceablity (out of print books like my 1947 copy of Cycles: The Science of Prediction or How to Be a Superhero).

So gone are the Onion compendia and the extensive Dilbert collection and the Simpsons episode guides.  Bye bye to an unbelievable number of programming reference guides and SAMS Learn Whateverthehell in 24 Hours books.  Farewell to books on learning shorthand (garage sale find... shut up), history books from the 50s, bad novels, and most of my old college books.  Again, I hope the people shopping at the thrift store can find some use from them.

(To be continued...)

No comments: