Sunday, July 11, 2010

Three Mini Projects

The weekend started off slow but I did manage to throw together three quick projects... Well, two and a quarter, I guess.

The first was building a replacement key and wallet holder for the kitchen.  The original one did not fit with the new kitchen modifications - too country.  I scavenged the pine shelves and metal hardware from the original unit and built a new back for it from a leftover maple piece I rescued from a discarded table many months back.  The stain/sealant combo was leftover from other projects as well.  Total cost: one chip brush.

The second was a set of wooden blocks for my son's second birthday.  Whenever he is in the garage he always wants to play with the leftover wood pieces (from a recent railing installation) laying on the workbench so giving him his own official set is a cheap and easy gift.  All of the pine, poplar, and oak blocks and dowels were either small hunks of existing scrap, leftovers from old projects, or taken from larger boards that were too warped to use for big jobs.  The missus suggested I include some arches, so I will crank those out tomorrow, sand the lot of them, and figure out a way to fit everything into the five dollar plastic bin for the one and only time they are all in the same place.

The third mini project you may have already noticed.  I have started a short story called The Omnicron Imperative.  I got the idea to write this based on the over-the-top writing styles of some of the action/adventure authors you see in the sidebar on the right (Cussler, Meaney, etc.) .  It is basically my way of ripping on the formulaic "Top secret team of covert badasses save the world through sheer awesomeness sprinkled with pseudo-science."  I realize it's silly - it's supposed to be.  I'm not sure how long I will carry the "story" through - my attention span is short but randomly variable.  Enjoy!

No comments: