Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Pit and the Paper Shredder


My wife brought a disused paper shredder down from the attic this weekend and asked me if I could fix it.  She said she overloaded it at one time and it stopped working (Hey... We all do it).  I told her I would look at it.

I opened it up expecting to see the mechanism completely crammed with refrigerator box chunks and giant copper staples but it looked just fine.  The switch was ok, and there didn’t appear to be an accessible fuse that could have blown.  There’s no real circuitry to speak of.  None of the wires appeared disconnected or damaged.  Hmph.  Burnt out motor.  Oh well, time for a new shredder.

Oh my God... what is this? 


I could, with very little effort, move the 115V power line into the (thankfully unmovable) choppy dealies.  I am sure that heat, gravity, and vibration would have done that at a random and not-so-distant time in the future if the motor hadn’t been burnt out.  Arcs and sparks inches above a bin of fluffy dry paper?  Nice.

The... um... fellows that made this device should really consider hiring a better safety or Q.C. person.

No comments: