Monday, July 28, 2014

Peaches

I was grilling out a few weeks back listening to iTunes Radio attempt to converge on a solution you the question "Who exactly are you, SnowUrchin, musically speaking?" I was about to get up and check on the burgers when all of a sudden a few chords transported me to a long since demolished college bar. There I stood with a fifty-cent Natural Light draft in one hand and a pool cue in the other. Just audible above the people noise of the crowded hole-in-the-wall were some cheap speakers blaring "Peaches" by The Presidents of the United States of America. 

A half-second later I poofed back to my deck and grinned. I grabbed my tongs and dealt with the food and I was shocked to discover I still remembered the music and most of the words - I mean it's not like I really liked the nonsensical song in any more than a vaguely ironic way.  After dinner I looked up the song and discovered (in the Content section) the most soberly written and thorough description of music lyrics I have ever seen.    

Other songs I have looked up - Sussudio, Iko Iko, Angela, Red Red Wine - have had your typical fuzzy artist-y non-answer "well, you know, it's sort of like this but maybe not..." feel to it.  That's what made this description so great... 

Well, to me, anyway...


If you know the song look it up and appreciate the care and complete lack of whimsy the author took in nailing down the details of the description. While you go off and do that, I’ll be completing my Master’s thesis outlining the 19th century historical origins of the animosity between Triangle Man and Particle Man.

No comments: