Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Did You Feel That?

Well, I was struggling with what to post about today and I was coming up blank, but that problem went away at 1:51PM today.

I was sitting at my desk when my chair started shaking back and forth. I thought it was just a large truck passing by the office but then I noticed some plastic geegaws pinned to my cubicle wall were swaying.

I and a handful of others in the cube farm prarie-dogged and looked at each other incredulously. Questions started to form but then my phone rang. It was my wife calling from her place of work 10 miles from here. "Did you feel that," we simultaneously asked each other.

My first earthquake! In case you have never been in one, the 5.9 tremblor was silent and felt a little like 15 seconds of... I don't know, really. Sort of like the "floating" feeling you get driving in a car with bad shocks, I guess. Not violent and not really uniform, but undulating and very obvious once you keyed on what it really was.

They evacuated our building as a precaution, but it is not clear to me who gave the "all clear" to go back in... Not that I have issue with it one way or the other - I ask merely out of curiosity. I mean, someone had to step up and get the people back inside or else they would have milled about all day. I just wonder what metric was used...

Jimmydunes (who lived in SoCal for a while) said that this one was too "chunky" for his taste and he prefers the rolling ones. He is suuuuucccchhh a geology snob...

Well, no sense dwelling on this any more. As the old saying goes, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and the hurricane that is scheduled to pass directly overhead this weekend, of course.

No comments: