Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New Product Review, Old Product Update

A while back I saw an episode of Man v. Food where the challenge was to eat six Atomic wings from a place called Quaker Steak and Lube.  He passed the challenge but those six wings looked like they kicked his butt pretty good.

We have one locally, I love spicy food, and they sell the sauce there so I picked some up.  That's it on the left.  Yep, that's a gen-yoo-ine medicine bottle and medicine dropper.   Not shown is the campy release form that comes in the bottle allegedly indemnifying the company from and damage you are going to do to yourself by ingesting this stuff.

Duly warned and respecting that caution is the better part of valor I cooked up some chicken nuggets and put a single drop on one.   It was hot, flavorful and delicious - not just pure heat.  I put a bit more on another and I was sweating.  I put enough on to coat the entire topside of a piece and I sweated a bit more and my tongue and throat definitely were feeling it, but in no way was this stuff the hottest sauce I have ever had.

That's not snobbery or false machismo.  I have ordered hot chicken fingers from places in Western New York where I was forced to roll down the car window before I made it home because my eyes were watering so badly from the fumes.  It is possible the stuff they sell via the drive through at Quaker Steak is intentionally less hot than the wing challenge stuff they advertise inside.  Also, I did not slather the nuggets with the sauce - I might be writing a different review if I did, possibly from the comfort of a hospital bed.

So either a) it is not as hot as advertised b) I got the dosage wrong or c) I pulled a Wesley and built up an immunity to the Iocane powder within this “highly dangerous” product super quickly. I will try the Atomic wings the next time I swing by the place and give an update later.

As tasty as this condiment is, six bucks for two ounces of the sauce precludes slathering vast amounts of this stuff on otherwise bland food every day but this might make for a fun stocking stuffer for the spicy food lover on your Christmas list.

The friend I bought the Whiskey Stones for had this to say about them:

I still like the stones, but I cannot use them for the broad application I had hoped for. While they seem to work perfectly for, say, whiskey, for wine they are absolutely horrible. The stones make the wine simply undrinkable. I put them in some port wine, which tends to be sweet and the outcome, while cold, was not drinkable.

I am thinking with really strong liquor like whiskey the stones don't alter the flavors but something tannic like wine seems susceptible. I don't know if it matters if the stones are either soapstone or granite.

So there you have it. Whiskey stones: for whiskey :)

No comments: