Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's All Over But the Groutin'


While we were shopping for granite countertop materials "we" decided that I would install a tile backsplash since it would be about 4 times cheaper for me to do it myself than to have the stonemasons do it.

“Can you put in a backsplash like they are talking about,” the wife says. “Yes. Yes, I can.” I say. As with the plumbing project this was my first try, so up the learning curve I went yet again.

There are about a million videos and step by step guides out there on how to do this, so let's just jetison the detailed "Tale of Adventure" and just hit the main "What I Learned" list, already.

  1. The videos make tile backsplash installation look easy. That's because tile backsplash installation is easy. Your apprehension is perfectly normal, though. It scared the hell out of me to try this. Don't worry - you can do it.
  2. Natural tiles vary in color, texture, etc. Make sure you buy similar tiles from the same manufacturer lot number so you don't end up with transitions that don't quite match. Fortunately I did not have that situation pop up.
  3. Seal slate tiles before grouting to help keep them clean during the grouting process.
  4. If you are using the 2” Indian tumbled slate tiles from Lowe's like I did you are going to find grouting tough going due to the hugely uneven surfaces involved. A damp rag is your friend, there, to help get the grout out of the nooks and crannies. Yes, it takes a while but the results are worth it.
  5. Ryobi sells a 4" tile saw for $79. It is a joy to use. Buy one. Why? It costs $44 per day to rent a hugely overcomplicated and intimidating tile saw from Home Depot. I am sure it is awesome for huge floor projects but you just don't need it for this type of job. But let's say you plan on taking 2 days during the week to do the job (after work, say), you don't have to stress about watching the clock, you have actually saved money if you choose not to rush the job, you get to learn how to get comfortable with a tile cutter in the simplest way possible, and at the end of the project you have a tool for doing other jobs, too.
I should be able to finish the rest of the backsplash grouting tomorrow (the area by the microwave is what is next) after mowing the lawn. I hope to follow this by sealing and caulking the next day, then performing a final seal, then the outlet covers, then cabinet-matching trim pieces.  Then back to the garden.

And maybe I can use the tile cutter to help me make a copper and stained glass light catcher for the to-be garden area... we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful husband you are :) The wife