Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Garden Project (Part I)

We are really behind this year putting in the garden but I guess that's ok. The cold winter and the late freeze we had makes me feel a little less lazy for not getting to it sooner.

The old garden area served us well but the dry-stacked faux stone walls did not hold up so well from the winter ground heave and mole runs. The back retaining wall leaned out a lot and even collapsed in one place (that may have been due to the many deer that live in the woods out back, though).

My wife saw a picture of a dumbbell shaped garden area in a magazine and asked if we could do that.

Why, yes. Yes we can.

I have learned a lot from putting in stone walkways, firepit, and the old garden, so I think I am prepared to do a pretty good job with this new stoneworking project.

If I do it right, it should be functional (can plant stuff in it, that is) in a couple of weeks. I hope to have it looking roughly like the sketch you see here by the time all is said and done. How it currently looks will be posted in the sidebar.

(To be continued...)

No comments: