Sunday, April 25, 2010

Book Review: Stony Man: Season of Harm

I finished Stony Man: Season of Harm a couple of weeks ago - here is my review.

There is nothing I can say about this other than it was loaned to me by jimmydunes as retribution for recommending The Gray Man to him. I feel that, in reading this book from cover to cover, I have more than atoned for that sin.

You might note that I have rated it "liked it" in the sidebar on the right, and wonder why I am being negative about it. Well, that's complicated.

I liked this book in much the same way someone might like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Plan 9 From Outer Space, or Reefer Madness. Some things are so far past the point of your expectations for "awful" you are actually shocked into liking them.

I liked the over-the-top cheesy dialog, the near-superhuman capabilities of the protagonists, and the plot holes you could fly a passenger airliner through. One example is the ability of one of the Super Secret Awesome Team Omega Ninja Bravo members to blow into anywhere (alone!) and procure the most unlikely items from “The Black Market”... like fully armed mint condition attack helicopters. Props to jimmydunes for pointing out the “alternate ending” plot hole: obviously American black market shopper is found dead in an alley in Marrakesh with his clothes and dufflebag full of unmarked cash missing – mission scrubbed.

I also liked this book on a level that made me extremely envious of the publishers. Since this is book #105 (!) in the series they must have some ingenious formula or production line or software or some other way that these books can be pumped out twice a year or so. I would be extremely interested to hear how these stories are created, so if anyone has an idea let me know, cuz I want in.

No comments: