Thursday, April 15, 2010

Slightly More Important

I have not gotten a lot of work done with the garden project this week, but I don't care.

My 21-month-old was home sick with Mommy earlier this week. I got a phone call at work letting me know he was doing fine. He wanted to talk to me so mommy put him on the phone. He said “Daddy, come home now? I wannoo go outside play bat and t-ball game. Pleeeeeaaaasssee!?!?”

If this were a Hallmark commercial, I would tell you I signed out of my computer at work with a mischievous grin and drove home and played baseball with my son, consequences be damned.

But it's not, and I didn't.

Due to one thing or another my Vacation Time/Sick Time “bucket” has been running on fumes for over a year now. I have zero Comp Time. I couldn't just make up the time this pay period – countertops are being put in today. Besides, I had three project milestones to meet this week, so I couldn't just take off for that reason, either.

“I had three project milestones to meet this week.” Nice.

I am very good at my job. I met the super-mega-important milestones even though I spent a lot of the time listening to “Cat's in the Cradle” on continuous loop in my head and staring through my desktop...

So the construction of the stone garden walls has been put on hold while I build sandcastles instead because, in a lot of ways, the sandcastles are a hell of a lot more permanent.

No comments: