Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Willfully Ignorant

I haven't had the chance to keep up with hockey lately so while was at work it occurred to me to ask Siri who was in the playoffs.  I wasn't looking at the phone when I asked the question and I was hugely surprised to hear the following:

"In the NHL standings, the Bruins are leading the league followed by the Sabres, Flames, Blackhawks, and Redwings.  If you'd like, I can tell you more about a specific team."

I was, like, WHAT?!  The Sabres are in the playoffs? No way!  That's awesome!  I looked down at my phone with what I now recognize as epic-level tunnel vision and saw that, sure enough, the Sabres were in second place:


I then asked when the Sabres played next:


Wait a minute.  What do you mean you don't know when they play next?  Let's try something more direct: "Hey, Siri, are the Sabres in the playoffs?"


Yeah... That makes a little more sense...  I then asked the question slightly differently. Instead of "What teams are in the NHL Playoffs" I asked "Who is in the NHL Playoffs".  Sure enough, Siri came back with "The Panthers, Lightning, Red Wings, Capitals, Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Flyers, Stars, Blues, Blackhawks, Predators, Wild, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks have all qualified for the NHL playoffs.

So what gives? The only way that the Buffalo Sabres are in "second place" in the NHL is freaking alphabetically, that's what gives!  I never noticed that the "standings" had zeroes across the board.  I had one more request of Siri before going off to get a cup of coffee:


Wrong again, my friend.

No comments: