Tuesday, June 15, 2010

One Hecto of a Post


Hey!  This is my one hundredth post (under the name SnowUrchin, anyway).  Not only that, my wife has a milestone birthday is this week, and my son turns 100 weeks old as well.  Neat!  Let's celebrate with a swarm of mini topics.

The kitchen was painted.  As I predicted, the behind-the-fridge part was a pain, but I am glad I did it.  The machine at Lowe's matched an extra backsplash tile pretty closely so now the walls are a light slate color.  The job took nowhere near the 8 hours I thought it would and the color is perfect for the room.

The wife and I determined that there is no such thing as "the nice Chuck E Cheese", at least in this area.  The 101st post will be about that.

My father-in-law prides himself on finding good deals.  He is especially successful in finding inexpensive happy-making toys for his grandson, but this time he found a 9-year-old battery powered 5 3/8 inch Skil saw for $20 at Wal-Mart.  It is new in the box, so I guess it just got lost in inventory somewhere and repeatedly marked down.  It charged up just fine, it is light, and is fun to use.  It will come in handy for quick, small jobs.

Gave the garage a thorough cleaning. It was a complete wreck after the months-long parade of projects took their toll.  As a part of that effort, the desk from the Desk Restoration Project is finally gone.  Hopefully someone at the thrift store can get some use out of it.  I wonder how long it will take them to find the puzzle I glued to the underside of the drawer...  I will put up a Puzzle Post soon.

I officially gave up my membership to the gym. I simply have no time, and don't see the wisdom of paying $80 a month for the honor of keeping a pair of shoes inside a locker in a building I will not see the inside of for the foreseeable future.  So Wii Fit, staying active, and eating right will continue to be the order of the day.

The family room was painted and new lights were put up.  We need to put a lot of stuff on the walls and it will be pretty much done.  A room transformation post will follow.

I read The Chase by Clive Cussler. Meh. It started off fine, but the over-the-top super-powers of the main protagonist made the whole “smart handsome guy with practically unlimited resources” thing a little much to swallow. Also, it had a forced “I betcha this would be a good movie someday” feeling to a lot of the scenes that was pretty distracting. It ended fine.

So now I am reading another Cussler book called Sacred Stone. Another meh. The obviously un-researched descriptions of asteroids, comets, buckyballs, radiation, viruses, and how complex machines are put together would be easy to ignore if they didn't pop up so damn often and showcase how badly the writer is out of his element. But, I guess you can't write a book where everyone is in a snowcat or a helicopter the whole time. Although he sure tries...

More soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually think dad paid less than$10 for it