Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Majestic Suffolk Seaboard Coastline Trail

A couple of days ago I went geocaching along the Suffolk Seaboard Coastline Trail. I didn't have very much luck finding anything (2 for 6, I think), so I took advantage of the outing to document some of the more eye-catching flora and fauna instead. Enjoy!

Immediately upon entering the trailhead I was greeted by a herd of Spotted Used Mattresses, sunning themselves majestically just southeast of the main path. I did not want to pass up a rare opportunity to photograph them in their natural habitat, but I made sure I was careful not to startle them to avoid interfering with any willomying and flolloping they might be engaged in. 
This flock of Bud Light Tall Boys was probably drawn to the area to feed on the ample offering of broken glass and shattered stereo speaker casings left on the manhole cover in the foreground. 
A cluster of Abandoned Sofa Sets and North American Armchairs stood shyly off to the left of a side trail and waited for me to pass.
This Broken Plastic Bin was caught bathing and slowly sinking into one of the many fetid still-water pools alongside the main trail.
I was fortunate to snap a pic of this clutch of Sofa Cushions while their mother stood a few yards away.
A Discarded Children's Swimming Pool stands guard five yards off the main path, precisely where I had spotted it six months before. This time, however, it was joined by a Disintegrating Lawn Chair and the remains of a Girls Vinyl Lunch Bag (not shown).
A Bright Blue Gas Can in repose. 
A gaggle of Balding Automobile Tires takes turns sipping stagnant ditchwater.  The Deflated Basketball must wait its turn.
A solitary Collapsed Plastic Chair sits on its rusted, crumpled legs.
Out of respect for their holy culture, I blurred out some of the more… umm… poignant writings the natives left here.  My translation may be off slightly but it suffices to say that, whoever Justin is, he is not beloved by all. 
Several outcroppings of Discarded Roofing Shingles line the path, beckoning travelers closer with their promise of flattened bicycle tires and tetanus.
Overall, I was very impressed by the level of abject neglect that has been achieved in the short period of time this trail has been open to hikers, bikers, and illegal hunters.  Space and good taste prohibit me from listing all of the interesting things I discovered along this 1.5 mile pin-straight trail segment, but I encourage everyone to don some blaze orange biohazard suits, come on down, and start their own photo-journal. After your visit, be sure to thank the Suffolk Department of Parks and Recreation for a job well done!
Personally, I can't wait to see what the next ten miles of this trail is going to bring!

No comments: