Sunday, February 28, 2010

Book Review

A couple of weeks ago my wife bought me "In the Courts of the Sun" by Brian D'Amato.  Just out of the blue - I didn't ask for it or anything... She's so awesome...

I guess she was in a Border's and walked past a display and this book caught her eye.  She say that it had something to do with time travel and, knowing that I like books and movies of that genre, decided to pick it up for me.

When I looked at the cover I was, like, "Oh, how original.  Yet another 2012 doomsday book.  Well, only a couple more years to crank out this stuff so everyone on board the Mayan train..."  I probably snorted derisively, too.  I mean, any geek my age worth his/her salt has known that "the world is due to end December 21, 2012" for decades, and now all of a sudden it's "trendy".  Note to self: see if Agmorion still has that "Doomsday 2000" VHS tape I bought him as a joke Christmas gift ten years ago.

Here is my spoiler-free review:

I started reading it and was immediately hooked by the in-your-face, try-to-keep-up writing style.  The method of sending a person "back in time" is excitingly original and disturbing and depressing and frightening all at the same time.  The fact that the hero even considers doing this for a second is a monument to his bravery or stupidity.  The fact he is clearly a genius and highly adept at numbers games and pattern recognition seems to indicate "brave"... Maybe he just doesn't care...

There are a couple of scenes in the book (one during a disaster near the beginning and one describing a choice the hero has to make near the end) that are so soul-crushingly sad that you would have to be made of stone not to feel anything.

There is a lot of excitement in the book right from the start regarding "prophesies" in a newly discovered Mayan codex and a pattern-finding ritual called "The Game".  Unfortunately, the author's highly-descriptive style becomes a huge burden right in the middle of the book and lasts for tens of chapters for seemingly no reason.   I figure this 700-page book could have been edited down to 300 or so pages if a lot of the overwhelming detail describing ancient Mayan greeting rituals, jungle wildlife, and just plain old walking around  just went away.  I found myself skimming a lot.  Even chase scenes and battle scenes dragged on way too long.

Also, it will help if you speak Spanish, German, and know the basics to Greek and Latin.  Even then, keep a dictionary handy.  A big one.

The book started off as an A+ and ended as a B-.  Amazon gives it 3 1/2 stars.  I agree with a couple of the one-star reviews, but not with their anger.  Will I get Book Two?  I don't know.  We will see.

No comments: