Friday, January 9, 2015

"Want Super Badly" Equals "Need", Right?

Nothing - not even a Brand Names catalog - has ever matched the sheer “Ooooh! I want that!  No… wait… that!” of all the stuff I see in OFFGRID magazine. I picked this up at the checkout station at Barnes and Noble the other day because I thought it looked interesting. 

Oh, yeah, baby.

Knives with lights… Off the shelf bug-out bags… Inner-city defense pencils (these are spikes, plain and simple).  Also, how to make (extremely) old-school weaponry out of rocks, sticks, and other jazz, how to filter water… Sweet!  Hey, what would happen if a riot threatened my neighborhood?  What, this neighborhood?  Well, I'm pretty sure that a few dozen Stepford Wives runners-up armed with decoupage and rum cake could make short work of... No. No...  I guess not.  Hmmm... I probably won't ever need this snowmobile survival stuff but ohmygodohmygod, there’s a Swiss Army Hammer in here!  Honey, there's a Swiss Army Hammer in here!  How could I not already have one of these in my backpack?! Man, even the ads in this mag are awesome!

What?  Only comes out quarterly?  Weak… Still, though, this next b-day is gonna rule!

Speaking of the Brand Names catalog… A ridiculously late “thanks”, Dad, for the Walkman.  I had no idea these things were, like, $80 in 2014 money.  You were right, btw.  Playing tapes ate batteries like crazy.

No comments: