Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Very Old Coin

I am either super easy or super hard to buy for - it really depends on your point of view. This past birthday, for instance, I asked for “something that is at least 1,000 years old”.  Obviously I meant something that was manufactured at least a millennium ago, not something that merely existed back then, otherwise someone could have just walked out into their yard and picked me up a rock or something and said “Here ya go, buddy.  Enjoy.”

Amongst my b-day swag I found a little plastic envelope labeled “1 (ONE) premium already cleaned ancient Roman coin”.  Sweet! 

The coin is 1/2 inch in diameter, bronze, and looks like this:




It might just look like an irregular pitted disc in the pictures but there is a lot more detail evident as you turn the coin in the light (it also helps if you back away from your screen a bit).  An extremely lucky internet search led me to An Online Collection of Roman Artifacts where I found these pics:



Assuming we have a match, this coin depicts the Western Roman Emperor Honorius on the front, and three emperors standing side-by-side on the back.  It was minted in the city of Antioch sometime between the years of 406 and 408, making it over 1,600 years old.  

Nicely done, bro-and-sis-in-law, nicely done!

No comments: