Monday, November 15, 2010

Funnus Quizzus

I was on the treadmill at the gym the other day and it struck me that I have a lot of old songs on my media player.

Well, not really old, I guess, but “Sympathy for the Devil” came out in 1968. Man... that would be like my dad rockin' out to Mairzy Doats or Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy or something. .

Why don't I just be done with it and fill my iPod with Gregorian chants, FCOL?

Say...

Just to prove to you once and for all that I have lost any ability to distinguish between what is entertaining and what is idiotic, I have decided to translate portions of some of the songs on my iPod into Latin. Well, I'm not really doing the heavy lifting, it's Google Translate – I am just massaging the words a little so the right meaning is conveyed, like when “blue” actually means “sad”, for instance.

Also, if a term simply did not exist “back in the day”, replacements were used... For example, “Spaceship” could be changed to “ship of the heavens” before chucking the phrase into the translation engine. Further massaging with my extremely limited knowledge of the language is done just to make the auto-translation back to English a little less silly, definitely with the downside of making the Latin unreadable to someone who is super into Latin.

Below are four chunks of songs translated in this way. Let's see if you can guess what songs they come from. There are three methods of attacking this: 1) Look at the words and try and deduce their meaning from roots in English words you know 2) Spend a couple of years learning Latin then translate or 3) copy and paste the phrases below back into Google Translate and work with what you get. The phrase “something is lost in the translation” definitely applies here... :)

If you think you know one or more of them, leave a comment giving the song name and band. Once this post scrolls off the bottom of this page in a week or two, I will post the solutions if they all are not guessed yet.. Have fun and Good Luck!

Song One:
Omnibus nota,
Plenus mundus stultis populi.
Occurre capella in media nocte,
Partem nos pecunia.

Song Two:
Coepi cogitare
Scitis bibendae coepi
Non memini omnis multo illa die
Pulsatus mihi ut aliquid iocosa
Quando omnem pecuniam peracto
Vbi es transivit annos XV

Song Three:
Eunt purgo sursum vestri vultus
Omnibus falsum ex libris
Ut te cive...

Song Four:
Est oculus de tigris
Est pugna Horruit
Stare nos contra aemulum

No comments: