Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mighty Awesome.

FedEx delivered my burritos today!

As I told you last month, I mail-ordered some Mighty Taco beef-and-cheese burritos. They shipped two days ago and my longed-for taste of home arrived at about 12:30 this afternoon.

I was a little worried that things were not going according to plan when the evening of the 9th rolled around and I did not get an email saying that they had shipped yet. Luckily, I kept the contact info from when I first placed the order so I asked (politely, btw) where my order was using the link provided.

The Chief Operating Officer responded asking what my order number was. I told him. The next morning I had my confirmation email (from the guys that charged my credit card) with tracking number included, which was great. He emailed again about an hour later to make sure I got my notification and my tracking number. Man, talk about customer service!

Oh... by the way, I did not know he was the COO when I sent my first email... It wasn't until I after my last email to him that I had scrolled down the message a bit and checked out the signature line, so I feel kind of idiotic for addressing him by his first name. Not that I think that's a cardinal sin or anything, but the familiarity just made my business letter sound like it had a salutation of “Look Here, Skippy:” instead of the more traditional “Sir or Ma'am:” or “To Whom It May Concern:” Sorry about that, Mr. Jasulevich....

Today I knew I needed to be out of the house for much of the day so the tracking number was really going to come in handy. I didn't want to miss the delivery by very much because I didn't want the box to sit out in the open for too long, see. My wife drove us around and I was glued to the phone repeatedly pinging the FedEx site for location information.

In a sorting facility 40 miles away... Now 20 miles... Now “Out for Delivery”...

We came back from our morning errands around noon and were just about to leave for afternoon errands (life is fun!) when what to my wondering eyes should appear... the FedEx Truck! I was 80% excited about the food, but I was about 20% excited to get the chance to play with dry ice. I had never handled the stuff before so I was pretty psyched to get this bonus to my delivery. I was especially amped after reading the “Happy Fun Ball”-esque email that warned about the dangers of frozen carbon dioxide. “Too cold to eat,” you say... I accept your challenge...

As I took the box from the delivery person, I thought “This seems light”. I opened the cardboard box and the warning laden cooler inside to find my twelve burritos, a large package of hot sauce and absolutely no dry ice. It had all evaporated and the burritos and sauce pack had just started the process of thawing. Nothing serious – sort of the amount of thaw you would expect if you bought a frozen pizza at the grocery store and had a twenty-minute drive back home.

Good thing we caught the truck before heading out again, eh? I would have hated to open the box after it had sat out in the sun for four hours...

I quickly threw eleven burritos in the freezer and one in the microwave. After it was done I popped open my last Vernors Ginger Ale and dug in. When I closed my eyes and took the first bite, I was transported back in time 25 years for one quarter of one second.

It was awesome. Mightily so.

I look forward to sharing out the remainder of the burritos with a few friends of mine that are also exiles from Western New York. Who knows? Maybe the four of us can come up with a way of swinging a delivery from this one place I know up there that does killer milkshakes...

No comments: