Friday, January 6, 2012

Si, Si, Si! It's Post CCC!

My 300th post as SnowUrchin!  Let’s celebrate with an appropriately themed write-up.  Hmmm... I don’t seem to have the abs yet for a scrap with the Persians, so that’s out... Hey!  300 is also a perfect game in bowling and I do kinda have the right sort of abs for that so let’s make that our theme.  
Bowling.  Not abs.
Wikipedia lists the loudest sound in modern times as the explosion of the island of Krakatoa in 1883.  This is wrong.  We took our son bowling for the first time and we can tell you that the loudest sound in the whole wide world is, in fact, produced when a three-year-old chucks a six-pound bowling ball from shoulder height 18 inches down the alley.
My fault.  My fault.  I gave him the ball to see if it was an OK weight for him, and, since it was, I said “Now go up to the line and throw it”.  He immediately did both those things.  Look, in my defense I thought he was gonna sort of side-arm it like the five-year-old girl a couple of lanes down was doing, not gleefully shot-put it onto the foul line.
If that BOOOOOOM wasn’t attention-getting enough the 30 or 40 seconds of sloooooowwww wobbly “ka-THUBBA... ka-THUBBA... ka-THUBBA” that followed as the ball meandered its way from bumper to bumper sure was.  I would say that never-ending over-the-finger-holes moseying “ka-THUBBA” noise is pretty much the equivalent to stripping off all your clothes, yodeling “PAY ATTENTION TO ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!” then pooping a three-foot-high pile of Krugerrands.
I am serious when I say the boy had enough time to whine three times before the ball got to the end of the lane “It’s never gonna make it.”  I assured him it would the first two times.  I nearly agreed with him the third time.  With its very last ka-THUBBA it hit the pins and managed to gently push a few down then stop dead without falling off the end of the alley.  I didn’t think that was possible.  Now I know.
Since I didn’t want to make the lane look like the surface of the moon by the time we were done, I helped him with the rest of his (now between-the-legs) throws. He did great and had a blast.
So... lesson learned.  
Oh, btw, I also learned that left-handed occasional bowlers should really remember to take off their wedding bands before playing instead of nursing a plum-colored and plum-shaped ring-finger back to health after. 

No comments: