Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Some Trivets and a Corkboard

I was cleaning the cobwebs out of the sidebar of this blog when I noticed I still had “coasters and corkboards” in the To-Do list.  The fact that these items were in the list wasn’t surprising – things often molder there for years at a time.   I was a little surprised, though, that I could legitimately cross this project out.

While I was building the Christmas-gift clocks I figured I’d build a corkboard.  I had the corks and the lumber and corkboards are super-quick, so hey, another present for someone knocked out.  Awesome.  There it is in the upper left of this post.  It is 20” x 20” and contains 200 corks. 

A couple of months ago a co-worker approached me and asked if he could “commission a work”.  I thought he was razzing me but it turned out he was being legit.  He showed me some ceramic tiles he had been carrying from place to place for four decades – they were from the kitchen of his and his wife’s original house – and asked me if I could make a trivet for him as a surprise for his wife.

Trivets are cake but, since the tiles were special to him, I was super nervous about taking on the task.  I brought in the project as it progressed so he could “sign off” on the design decisions as I went (type of wood, border size, overall size, stain color, bevel angle, etc.).  The final product is below.


I was happy with it and he was delighted as well.  The tiles were the star of the show, they come just a hair above the border, and the trivet is a lot heavier than it looks.  Remarkably, (for me) it was level and not “rocky”.  I told him I didn’t want any money for it and I was happy to do the project.

My wife saw it while it was a work in progress and asked if she could have one. Since I had one square foot of unused tumbled tile (from the prototype phase of this project) and I have a tile cutter I made these two 8” trivets. 


One of these went to the wife and one went to her sister.

After the holidays my co-worker reported that his wife was extremely happy with her trivet.   He said he had to give me something, and paid me a dollar which he said had to go to my son:


An 1890-S Morgan.  Nice! 

The boy thought it was great and he put it in his Special Coin Book.  So, while the trivets aren’t technically “coasters” I’m gonna call this a big win and add a couple of new things to the list.

No comments: