Sunday, January 8, 2017

Geocache Update

I haven’t been geocaching in a long time.  Don’t get me wrong – I’m still interested but, since I rarely leave the area and I have found most of the ones within 20 miles or so I’ve kind of fallen out of it.  I’ll pick it up again soon.  As a matter of fact, I have a cache I made out sitting out in the backyard where I’ve been letting it weather for several months.  It’s important that this one looks like it has been there for years and years so it can hide in plain sight.  Enough said for now.

A little while back I got an email regarding one of my caches.  It started out like this:

On behalf of the Hidey Awards Committee, it is our pleasure to inform you and the geocaching world that this geocache has been selected to be a nominee for a GCHR Hidey Award in one or more categories.

This geocache was nominated by at least one person from the geocaching community. Since not all geocaches nominated make the ceremony, you should be proud of your accomplishment.


Sweet! I looked into it and the hide GCHR was talking about was “North of Tower” (GC5TRPC) for “Most Creative/Innovative Cache”.   It’s up against some pretty stiff competition and it looks like my odds are about 1/10 but I’m just jazzed to be nominated.  Thanks guys!

I was less jazzed that the snow prevented me from attending the January 7th meet-and-greet, but I became re-jazzed when I found out the event was pushed out a couple of weeks.  I think I can go.  We will see.

Last bit of geocaching info: the Snowurchin travel bug (pic in upper left of this post) has been on the move for three and a half years.  Here it is under a bridge in England in April 2016.


It is currently in North Wales (N 53° 04.121 W 004° 04.592) and has over 15,000 miles under its belt.  The sidebar has (finally) been updated with this info.

That’s it for now!

No comments: